Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Run With The Big Dogs!



When I was competing in track and field at a very competitive level, I always wanted to be the best, as most people dream of. I quickly realized that if I keep beating the not so good, that doesn't make me the best.

Once I figured that out at a young age, I looked for better match-ups. I looked to compete against the best, even if I knew I didn't have a chance. Why? Because I lost against the best with dignity and courage.

One of my great memories came in 1991 running a 400 meter dash at Indiana University. I was put in the fastest heat with all of the BIG DOGS and I was excited about it. A 4 time Ohio high school state champion and national champion in the 400 meters (Chris) was also in the race, someone I had my eye on for 4 years prior. There were also many other big named runners in the field.

I was young and naive, but knew I had to take advantage of this opportunity. It might not ever come around again. So I was ready!

The gun went off and I shot out like a cannon. I ran stride for stride with my rival in the front of the race. At the 200 meter mark I was tied for first place against one of the best fields I had ever run against. It turns out I had come around the 200 meter mark in a time that I had never run a 200 before, not even in an open 200 meter dash. I was running the best 400 meter dash I had ever run.

Then...I hit a mile high brick wall. My legs completely shut down and it took everything I had just to finish the race in a time I had run when I was only 16 years old. Was I disappointed? Sure I was. However, I walked off the track with my head held high because I knew I could run with the best of the best. Speed wise, I could hang with them. I just needed some major muscle endurance training.

It turns out that Chris, who ended up winning a gold medal in the 1992 Olympic Games in the 4x400 meter relay, did the same thing I did in that race and finished 2nd to last just a step in front of me.

My point is that race made me a 100% better runner, not physically, but mentally. I knew I was good because I was leading that race faster than I had ever run before against the best of the best. Therefore after that race I have always said "If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch".

You have to try and you cannot be afraid to fail, but rather be excited to see what you can really do!

Chad Cannon is a certified personal trainer, fat loss expert, speaker, author, and founder of Shaping Concepts Fitness Training Studios. Learn more about how you can receive a FREE no obligations trial of his Shaping Concepts of Bluffton Fitness Programs and Boot Camps.

No comments: