Tuesday, October 26, 2010

You Get What You Pay For!

So this past weekend I was in Myrtle
Beach for a fitness conference. I want to discuss something I saw that was very disturbing to me, as a fitness pro.

I was at this conference for many reasons obviously...to get some continuing education credits, to learn some new good stuff, see some new fitness products, and of course connect with other fitness pro's throughout the country.

I was also running a half marathon the day after the conference, so I didn't participate in the usual physical classes I usually do. This time I sat back and watched others do it. While I was watching everyone kill themselves for two days, I noticed something I never noticed before...

...There are a lot, and I mean a lot of crappy trainers out there that have no clue how even their own bodies work. Yes, we get instructed as large groups in these conferences so the person in charge of that session can in no way, shape, or form walk around to each person and correct them if needed. But as a trainer, we should be able to listen, or watch a demonstartion and know how to do it ourselves because we're suppost to know how the body works. Man, oh man, did I see some bad, bad postural things going on. And if these so called trainers can't do a correct squat or follow from another example, my profession is in major trouble.

Don't get me wrong when I say there are lots of bad trainers out there. Yes, there are. But there are also many great ones.

Where am I going with this...?

Here's where... What is the perception of trainers you find in a typical gym, fitness center, or athletic club setting? Now what is the perception of a trainer that works in a personal training studio?

You should have completely different answers. A typical trainer in a gym is the kind of trainer I was watching do incorrect movements, the ones that didn't have a clue how their own body worked. Again, I'm not saying all of them...that's just the perception. Why? Because most of the time it's true.

The trainers that care about you getting results, that know how the body moves, and works, that knows what it takes to lose weight, gain more muscle, knows how to eat for better results, knows how to rehab someone from an injury...those are the trainers that open their own personal training studios, or work for someone that owns a training studio. It's the places that don't have a monthly membership, but where you pay for the service you need.

Remeber the old saying "you get what you pay for". Yeah, hows that $20/month membership helping you get those results you really wanted? Just sayin'!

I'm not trying to suggest that all gyms have bad trainers. I am suggesting however, that most bad trainers work in gyms and fitness centers.

Make sure you know what your goals are. Interview the trainers you talk to. Find out if they have helped others with the same goals? Can they show you, and demonstrate some of the things they will be having you do? Can they help you with the nutrition aspect of meeting your goals? Ask them what their last fitness conference was that they attended. Ask them what they do themsleves for their own particular workout. Ask them if you can watch one of their personal training sessions and really see how they move.

Here's the bottom line...

Make sure you get what you pay for. If you want a $20/month fee, don't expect to get much more than $20 worth of stuff. If you want good instruction, professoinal help day in and day out, nutritonal coaching, accountibility, access to articles, blogs, videos, tips and helpful hints everyday, the ability to email or call for help everyday, the ability to help you get results, then you will find this in places like a training studio.

Think about it, when is the last time you heard of a professional athlete training during the off season at the local health club? NEVER! It doesn't happen! They go to a real fitness professional because they know that's where results happen!


Chad Cannon is the owner of Shaping Concepts in Bluffton, SC.

No comments: