Friday, January 14, 2011

What is a Goal?


What are goals exactly? Let me change that question a little...What are the best goals for you?


Many times when I ask people what their goals are. More often they reply with something like "I want to lose weight". This is not a goal!


A goal must be something very specific. A goal should have many parts to it. A goal should have a specific "what", a specific "when", and a specific "why". The key ingredient is the "why".


Here's a great example of a goal instead of the average "I want to lose weight":

I plan on losing (notice I said plan on..., instead of saying I want to...) 8 pounds by Feb. 4th (notice I didn't say in the next three weeks - weeks just go on and on), because I am very embarrassed being naked in front of my wife.


Be very specific when it comes to setting goals. Be honest, how many of you have had that "I want to lose weight" goal for over 2 years now? There is no specification to it! Which means you have no reason or sense of urgency to attain it.


The key ingredient IS the reason why. The reason why is NOT "because I want to be healthy" or "because I'm fat", or "because I want to look better". You need to answer "why" you want to be healthy, "why" you are fat, or "why" you want to look better. Those are where you will find your reasons. Just keep asking yourself why. Once you get a little emotional about it, then you have found your reason.


The "real" key ingredient! There is one other thing that is an absolute must when it comes to goals. Two things MUST be done. And by doing these two things, achieving your goals will be 99% more successful!


  • #1 Write down your goal...with all the specifics! Including the reason why.

  • #2 Tell people, as many people as possible what your goal is. They don't have to know your reason, but by telling other people what your goal is, this makes you accountable to each and every one of them. Your goal will be much more attainable when there is accountability involved!

Don't forget to set goals. Everyday brings a new challenge and we need all the help we can get.


Chad Cannon is the owner of Shaping Concepts Fitness Studios in Bluffton, SC.

No comments: