Monday, March 21, 2011

My Top Three Abdominal Exercises (For Now)

Everyday someone asks me "Chad, what are the best ab exercises?". I normally say something like eat 5 times a day, do cardio 3-4 times per week and a total-body resistance training 3 times per week. But I'll give you the answer you want to know.

You can do crunches all day long, which will eventually make your neck hurt, but there are three exercise I love that are 100 times more effective than uncomfortable crunches. Those three exercises are a plank, a side plank, and ball roll-outs.

Now of course there are many different variations and progressions of each, but I'm going to give you the basics.

#1 The Plank

Just holding a plank position works so many different muscles, it's almost impossible to name a muscle it's not working. This is by far one of the best abdominal exercises there are.















#2 The Side Plank

Basically the same as the regular plank, the side plank really works the "love handles" as we like to say. This exercise also works many other muscles at the same time.

















#3 Ball Roll-Outs

Ball roll-outs are one of my favorate for hitting the lower half of the abdominal area, including many other lower and upper body parts.
















As simple as I can get it, there are my top three (basic) abdominal exercises.


Chad Cannon is the owner of Shaping Concepts in Bluffton, SC.

No comments: