Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What was your "Pivotal Point" in Life?

Do you know your "Pivotal Point"? The point in which your life changed. The point in which you decided to do something about your health. The point in which you decided to transform your body into something better.

Maybe your "Pivotal Point" has yet to come, but most likely it already has.
My transformation experience started at the end of 6th grade.

At the end of our school year our school had one of those "field days" where the 6th grade class went to the park for a picnic and games and other stuff..

Let me explain a little more about my life at that point before I explain what happened that day…

I was a very scrawny, very shy boy that needed lots of help with almost everything in school. I lacked confidence, and was kind of wimpy. I was never really good at anything, except I was okay at basketball, but knew it was only because I was taller than everyone else at that age. I was a very weak and lazy kid. Pretty dumb too! It’s okay, I admit it.

So at this Field Day that was always held at the end of every school year, it always ended with a big race; a sprint across the park. The entire 6th grade class took part in this race all at once (probably about 200 kids I’m guessing).

I lined up with more seriousness than I’ve ever had in my entire life. I wanted to win this thing and show everyone that I was somebody too.

Well it just so happened that the fastest kid in the school was also in the 6th grade; his name: Kurt Witchey. I knew of him, but we had never really talked before (It’s funny that I ended up being very good lifetime friends with his much older brother, who is actually on this emailing list). Everyone, including me knew he was the fastest kid out there.

During those few moments, my entire life changed! That’s when I decided that I WAS somebody and I was going to run as fast as it took to beat Kurt.

It turns out that I ran away with that race. It was close, but I was the definite winner. I remember everyone saying after the race that they had no idea I was that fast, and people were talking about me being in the Olympics one day. I honestly couldn’t get enough of all the talking.

I’ve never felt so empowered in my life up to that point. It was awesome! From that point on I was somebody.

Well, I had to keep that perception throughout my school years, excelling at being a sprinter on the track teams. I ended up getting a scholarship to run in college and even continued to compete thereafter, and became a coach as well, teaching others what I had learned. This is what brought me into the life of fitness and to this point in my professional fitness career and why I’m so passionate at striving to be the best, and to keep improving.

So when I am feeling lonely, weak, and questioning myself, I think back to those years of my life where I was striving to keep that persona of the fastest boy in Dublin, Ohio. I think that toughened me and helped me achieve more in life.

All because of running faster than Kurt Witchey!

That was my transformation. That was my "Pivotal Point".

That’s my story.

What’s yours?

How did you decide to become a healthier, happier person? How did fitness make your life better? I want to hear from you.

Oh, and by the way… I’m curious: would you call your fitness experience a pivotal point or something different?

What terms would you use to describe your fitness experience?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Oh Yeah...Take a look at what I can do now in the video below!

No comments: